I’ve got a tasty, festive salad for you.
I am all about keeping salads simple and adding flavor with what you have on hand in your fridge and pantry. In this salad, the greens and the whole grains work well together. Many people steer clear of kale as it can be bitter and tough to chew and prepare. That’s why I love baby kale. The dainty leaves have a subtle flavor and hold up well to salad dressing, as well as heating (i.e., sautéing).
This salad has just five main ingredients, plus six ingredients – including salt and pepper, for the salad dressing. That’s it.
Why are leafy greens like kale so good for you? In the my book, The Essential Guide to Healthy Healing Foods, the benefits of kale are highlighted as it’s a cruciferous vegetable like broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, which contains a number of powerful nutrients like vitamins, A, C, K, as well as the bone-enhancing mineral, calcium. Plus, eating leafy greens has shown to keep your brain younger, as well as do wonders for heart and cell health. That’s why a daily dose of greens is a great idea!
Cravings a nourishing salad with loads of color? Try my Baby Kale and Wheat Berry Salad. #recipe #ontheblog Click To Tweet
Baby Kale and Wheat Berry Salad
Baby Kale Wheat Berry Salad
This simple salad is easy to toss together and is jam-packed with good-for-you plant-based nutrients.
- 1 small pot
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 tongs
- 1 set measuring spoons
- 1 set measuring cups
- 1 small bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 cup baby kale rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup wheat berries raw
- 1 cup vegetable broth low-sodium
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup pistachios lightly salted
- 1/2 small shallot minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Place the kale in a medium bowl.
- On the stovetop over high heat, bring wheat berries and broth to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and allow to wheat berries to absorb the liquid. Stir occasionally. When cooked, flake with a fork and remove from heat to cool for a few minutes.
- Toss wheat berries into kale, add pomegranate and pistachios. Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad and enjoy!
Enjoy eating simply,