I am a big fan of nuts for their versatility in the kitchen, as well as their flavor and beneficial health properties. From good quality protein to plant compounds to fiber to healthy fats, nuts are a powerhouse of nutritional value.
Are you getting an ounce of nuts a day? Every nut is different due to their size and shape. Here’s a quick glance at how to portion your nuts into single serve containers or baggies for a one-ounce snack or add them part of a meal by tossing nuts into soups, chili, salads, oatmeal or yogurt.
Pistachios = 49 in an ounce
Almonds = 23 in an ounce
Walnuts = 7 whole (or 14 halves) in an ounce
Peanuts = 28 in an ounce
Pecans = 19 halves
Today, I am using pistachios. I am whipping up a tasty breakfast or dessert by spicing up pumpkin and mixing with yogurt, honey, and pistachios. I enjoy pistachios for their healthy fats, protein, fiber and purplish-green color and crunchy texture.
I get pistachios in shells to eat more mindfully. The empty shells in front of you can serve as a handy reminder of how many you ate and it may make it easier to stop at an ounce or 49 kernels.
Want a tasty use for leftover pumpkin? Try my Honey Pistachio Pumpkin Parfaits #recipe #holidays Click To Tweet
Honey Pistachio Pumpkin Spice Yogurt Parfaits
Simple and tasty probiotic-filled festive fall treats.
- 1 Medium mixing bowl
- 1 can opener
- 3 parfait glasses
- 1 16-ounce container Greek-style yogurt plain
- 2 tbsp pumpkin, unsweetened canned
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 ounce pistachios, lightly salted shelled, coarsely chopped
- Place yogurt in bowl and mix in pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey. Mix gently.
- In a fluted glass, dollop a small spoonful of the yogurt mixture, sprinkle with a bit of pistachios. Repeat layers until glass is full. Sprinkle the top with a bit more pistachios and drizzle with honey. Repeat until all glasses are filled.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
The nuts get soggy in the refrigerator, therefore parfaits taste best when eaten immediately.
Enjoy eating simply,
Just delicious! This is perfect for breakfast OR dessert! Pinned 🙂