How do you build a better sammie (a.k.a. sandwich)? If you’ve got a creative sandwich that you enjoy, now’s the time to showcase it! Disclosure: I am a spokesperson and one of the judges for Brownberry Bread’s America’s Better Sandwich Contest.
The 5 categories are:
- Open-Face Artistry – let everyone see your favorite ingredients sans the second slice of bread.
- Breakfast in Bread – evoke feelings of breakfast with eggs, yogurt or grilled cheese.
- Love, Healthfully – drizzle honey and toss some flax seeds on Brownberry’s Healthfull bread.
- Creative Classics – put a healthy spin on a classic Reuben or club sandwich.
- Fueling Good – boost your energy with sandwich fix-ins for an active day like good quality protein, healthy fats, fiber and iron.
I love sandwiches stacked with veggies and lean protein…today I am “Fueling Good” with avocado, turkey, tomato and cilantro on Brownberry 100% Whole Wheat bread.
Every ingredient in this sandwich has a distinct taste and offers health benefits: avocado = creamy, healthy fat (for heart health) + tomato = vitamin C, lycopene (for disease defense) + turkey = good quality protein (fuels muscles) + cilantro = lovely flavor + potassium (for health blood pressure).
Turkey, Avocado, Tomato & Cilantro Sandwich
2 slices Brownberry 100% Whole Wheat Bread
1/4 ripe avocado
2 thin slices of tomato
2 slices low-sodium turkey breast
1 small bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped
Lay out two slices of bread. On one slice schmear with avocado, top with tomato, turkey breast and cilantro. Top with other slice of bread. Cut in half or quarters and serve.
Nutrition Information (per sandwich): Calories: 253, Total Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 18 mg, Sodium: 699 mg, Carbohydrates: 31 g, Dietary Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 16 g
Enjoy eating simply,